Skip to main content

“Old-School” D&D rules that nobody likes or uses (or do they?)

As I said in earlier posts, I missed the OSR party during decades of non-gaming. Now I’m looking at OSR products years after their development. I remain baffled by the ongoing fascination with D&D, among all other possible rule sets that can undergird fantastic role-playing games, and I don’t comprehend why adherence to the old is regarded as better. Does anybody insist on computer coding in the original BASIC when a system that does more is available? I feel that I’m in a fair position to make these observations as I was gaming from the beginning of the ‘80s. I was playing constantly during those “old-school” days now sanctified by hindsight.

In this post, and perhaps in some more to follow, I will point out how those who treat old editions of D&D as the Real Thing are more selective about those rules than they reveal in their clones.

That is fine, of course! Gamers have always used their own rules and modified the rules in the books they bought. But that leads to a question: if the goal was to recreate what had gone by, leaving old rules out seems to call for an explanation. If the goal was to innovate, then that is merely to say that the “old-school revival” was a movement of innovation—which is what I think it was.

Does anybody employ a “caller” in their actual role-playing game sessions?

Gygax used this in the early games he originally ran. It was regular enough in D&D of the ‘70s that it occurs in Moldvay’s Basic D&D red book on page B4. “To avoid confusion, the players should select one player to speak for the entire group… named the caller.” This player was designated as the go-between for the DM and the players. In other words, players would not address the DM directly, but they resorted to one player who would coordinate the whole party’s actions, and the DM would respond only to the caller.

I never met anybody who ever used this, ever, even though the Basic rulebook says players should do this. Do you use it? Do you know anybody who ever did? Do any of the B/X D&D clones use this? I bet they don’t. I don’t see it in Labyrinth Lord or Lamentations of the Flame Princess. This is an area in which clones of the “original game” are not “authentic.”

OSRIC (not a B/X clone) mentions the “party caller” as an optional rule (not what players “should” do), but does anybody actually use a caller?

Damage variation per weapon by opponent size?

Gygax’s D&D was developed as the AD&D rules, the system in which he was clearly claiming ownership over the direction and development of the entire game, to the exclusion of other early developers. Just read the first two paragraphs of his Preface, p. 5 of the original Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook (1978), where he asks, rhetorically, and oh-so-humbly, “who better [to write this] than the individual responsible for it all…?” He means himself.

His Players Handbook has a two-page chart of weapons (pp. 37-38) indicating that the damage weapons did varied by the size of the opponent. Thus, a Bec de corbin does 1-8 damage against a “Size S or M” opponent, but 1-6 against a “Size L” opponent. A broad sword does 2-8 damage (presumably 2d4, with a resulting bell curve) against small and medium opponents but 2-7 (with no bell curve) against large opponents, whereas a long sword does 1-8 against small and medium but 1-12 against large opponents. Huh? How on earth was this decided? It suggests that a monster’s hit points were correlated with their physical size in the earliest D&D games, but the reason behind it is obscure.

Even when I was a kid, we ignored these rules entirely in the few times I played AD&D. In a game in which all the mechanics orbit around hit points, it’s bizarre to see something so basic as weapon damage (to hit points) dealt with in such a peculiar way.

OSRIC, which is just AD&D 1e reprinted as a compendium of rules, faithfully reproduces a pared-down version of this weapon chart. (No more Bec de corbin.) At the same time, I wonder: does anybody out there actually use the rule that damage done varies by creature size? If so… why?

All in all, many of those who venerate Gygax seem happy to ignore innovations that he authored as “advanced” and “official.”

Comments

  1. Yeah, I agree. Not all the rules got faithfully cloned and I think that was on purpose. The first generation of derived games were simply reformulating the old games, attempting to be be clones. But then people started to basically take those, and their house rules, and published them because they could. The PDF market, the desktop publishing software, the Internet, it all came together at the same time. D&D seems to simply be the most popular of the old games that allowed that or at least encouraged that via the OGL. Later, other companies did the same but there still are far fewer clones and hacks of Traveller and BRP and so on. Perhaps because they don’t need as much house rules in the first place, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, I agree with you here entirely. The OGL made it possible for people to make money from old products rewritten. And yes, D&D needs those house rules, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I present it as an optional system, I actually use a version of a caller pretty regularly! The the player of the character with the highest charisma becomes the caller (unless they choose to opt out, which I always offer and which has never happened), which helps to keep that duty from defaulting to whoever is more of a "leader" type in real life. I don't talk to the caller exclusively, but they get a sort of soft tie-breaker vote in group decisions. Usually how it goes is I'll ask the caller "what are you all going to do?" then the caller looks to the other players, they hash it out, and the caller makes the final decision. I find that it keeps the game moving and helps planning discussions stay focused, because the players know that somebody is in charge of making the final decision. I don't enforce the caller position in any other way, but I've found that my players tend to lean into it on their own, deferring to the caller as a leader in areas that are outside of the caller's defined responsibilities.

    Because selection of the caller is random, I also find that it has the side benefit of helping shyer players get into the game A friend's much younger brother ended up being the caller in one game, and over the course of about an hour he became a lot more confident about directing his brother's college-age friends, who were all very supportive of his leadership.

    For combat and individual actions, I talk to each player as normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works especially well in high-lethality, dungeon-focuses games, where the position can get passed around. The ideal use-case is something like "let's play Keep on the Borderlands out of the box this weekend". It's less useful with three or fewer players, and usually gets naturally phased out over the course of a game with more regular sessions.

      Delete
    2. Tom, that is really interesting! You are the first person I've heard to use any variety of caller. Now that you describe it, though, my family may like this interpretation of it. They often dither about what to do at crossroads, for example, or where decisions to fight or run are called for. I will ask them if they want to designate the one with the highest CHA as leader to "make calls" on decisions. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up using this feature for the first time in my life.

      Delete
    3. Now that you mention it, I use this with parties full of ditherers. I’ll ask for the player of the most charismatic or the most experienced character to make a call. So, thumbs up for this!

      Delete
    4. Okay, but we have to admit that the idea of "team leader" is different from the original idea of "caller."

      In the original 1974 booklet Dungeons & Dragons: Men & Magic, Gygax and Arenson wrote, "Number of Players: At least one referee and from four to fifty players can be
      handled in any single campaign, but the referee to player ratio should be about 1:20 or thereabouts."

      If I had twenty players, or fifty (!), I surely would ask for a caller... or three or four callers!

      Delete
    5. I could be wrong but I think the caller was designed because Gygax ran some large groups and he didn't want a dozen people shouting out what they'll do at once. Most groups don't have enough members to bother with that sort of thing.

      Delete
    6. Yes, I think you are right, Ruprecht!

      My original point was that the gamers who hallow the Original, Authentic, One True Game are happy to leave stuff out that was deemed essential once, while scolding others who do things differently. Yet they do things differently, too. It's part of a larger commentary that my musings keep orbiting.

      Delete
  4. We, too, use the caller role, but similarly to Tom and Alex, the purpose is to speed up decision making. When things slow down due to inaction, the caller gets to state how the group proceeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one time I was in a group using a caller was while playing Blackmoor with Bob Meyer, one of Dave Arneson's players, as GM. I think there were eight players plus Bob. Mostly, it was just another player going through the others and coordinating actions, then reporting everything back to the GM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds exactly like what the old rule books describe! Interesting. I wonder how long ago that was.

      Delete
    2. Your post today about using the caller brought me back here since I realized I had said something about this and didn't want to repeat myself. And, I have an answer: Sunday, 22 October 2017:

      https://gurpshexytime.blogspot.com/2017/10/random-rules-and-rulings.html

      Delete
  6. I have used the caller in play by post games so that someone other than me was making a decision that enough responses had been made.

    Back in the day, we absolutely used the different damage by size. It was definitely a factor in weapon choice.

    On the other hand we never used the adjustments by weapon and armor type...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thanks for stopping by. I'm sure you're not the only one, but you are the first I heard from about using different damage by opponent size. It seems to be one of the most widely ignored rules.

      Delete
  7. I've never really used a caller, but we may have tried it once. It was kind of fun, but it came naturally to no one, so we just dropped it.

    I've been wondering whether it's a matter of being a sort of chairman in a large group of players: they take care that everyone gets a word in, handle people who talk over one another etc. and pass that on the DM who can now focus better on his other responsibilities.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment