Skip to main content

I hate elves.


That is, I hate the elves of table-top roleplaying games and their spin-off media. Santa’s little helpers are just as annoying, but that’s not what I’m writing about here.

Let me be clear. I mean no offense to the wee folk of the hills and dells. But those are not the ones I’m talking about. I’m talking about the elves of gamers. You gamers all know already that they are basically Tolkien rip-offs, watered down into long-lived, pointy-eared, pretentious alt-humans who can see in the dark and don’t sleep much.

I normally don’t think about this often. Now my son is running a game for his friends at school. Literally four out of five fifth-graders want to be an elf. In our home 5e game, my young daughter plays an elf, too. They’re all wood elf druids. I guess that is because they are wood elves.

Why do players, especially new players, love elves so much? It’s not hard to find reasons: good looks, special status, and powers that humans don’t have. They pass for human and get no less respect. For kids, maybe it’s the idea that one can be ancient and have more life experience than grown-up humans while being youthful and powerful. Wood elves are like people, but thin, attractive, in touch with nature, and superior. Plus, they have pointy ears and slightly exotic hair and eye colors. The feeling of looking special is strongly appealing.

When I say that these are really Tokien rip-offs, though, I mean it. Tolkien popularized the tall, thin, lovely, long-lived, condescending elf. Tolkien’s stories are beautiful and the elves in his world work in his world. But now his elves are hackneyed rip-offs.

Not so long before Tolkien, “elf” was equivalent to “dwarf” or “goblin” or “spirit” or even “devil.” Elves were strange, small magical creatures with unpredictable powers and capricious temperaments, not stuck-up wine-sipping youthful old people who don’t make noise when they walk in the forest.

Dwarves are almost as bad as the elves. Tolkien’s world made them into what they are for table-top role-playing games: stout, gruff, honorable to a fault, axe-swinging, beard-wearing short strong guys, who see in the dark and like ale. You can see the influence of Disney’s Snow White animated feature on their image, too. For some reason, the dwarf cleric is an especially common type. Maybe it’s because dwarves are supposed to like axes and maces (bearded guys like those weapons, apparently), and there is the association between clerics and maces, another untraced vestige of Gygax’s misappropriated history.

And don’t get me started on halflings! I will never finish.

In my homebrew game (not my family D&D game), all player characters are human. Elves are weird and dangerous little creatures. Dwarves are more like the gnomes of lore. If you meet a dwarf, be on your guard. Halflings don’t even exist. Yes, it’s possible to run a fantasy game like this, and the players will have fun knowing that they are all humans in a world of strange creatures. You can even do this in D&D. Just do not allow players to play non-humans. Suddenly, all those so-called demi-humans are interesting again.

Comments

  1. I tend to agree with all of this. (I wrote something similar on dwarfs a while back: http://hobgoblinry.blogspot.com/2018/07/dwarfs-are-villains.html). I think the best models for RPG elves are Poul Anderson's in The Broken Sword and the man with thistledown hair from Susannah Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell: eerie and often malevolent.

    I think Basic D&D's race-as-class has *something* to recommend it when it comes to dwarfs and elves: it makes them essentially unhuman and strange - and of course it obviates abominations like the dwarf cleric!

    I wouldn't trace the man-sized, superior sort of elf entirely to Tolkien, though. The elves of Norse mythology are entangled with the Vanir to some extent, and that godliness is what Tolkien was drawing on - as was Poul Anderson, whose The Broken Sword was published in the same year as The Lord of the Rings. And there's an entwining with Celtic traditions too - the Seelie Court and the Unseelie Court and all that. The elves of the Border ballads (e.g. those in Tam Lin) are man-sized and dangerous. I think the diminutive elf is, to a large extent, a Victorian invention or popularisation.

    The real problem, I think, is that the blandest of Tolkien's elves - those in LotR - have had the widest influence. Those of The Silmarillion and even The Hobbit have much more capacity for malice and vice, and that makes them much more interesting. If there's one thing that characterises the elves of folklore, it's that they're dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I concede expertise to you on elfery. I never did read Poul Anderson. The Norse elves of the Eddas always seemed to me more like fairy creatures--but creatures in Norse myths are all pretty weird, in my view.

    About your post on the dwarves, I agree. The Scottish dwarf phenomenon is just silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always found that the breadth of available races in D&D made it really hard to worldbuild in a way that felt internally consistent enough for me.

    Little wonder I fell into running GURPS campaigns with modern tech levels, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment