Skip to main content

Alternative Spell Rules for Knave

Knave is a light rules toolkit by Ben Milton compatible with old versions of D&D and their clones. It was released in 2018 (before I got back into adventure games).

Only recently did I get around to looking at it closely. I think it's pretty neat.

One of its best features is the open invitation to modify the rules.

One kind of fantasy adventure game rule that I dislike generally is "spells per day" and the related "Vancian magic." The rules of Knave require a PC to have a spellbook and to read it out to cast a spell, but spells work only once per day. Why?

I found a lot of alternative rules for Knave on the internet, but none that addressed this issue.

I prefer spell rules that make casting spells a risk to resources used at will rather than a built-in power that works X times per day.

So, I thought of some alternative spell rules for Knave that suit my preferences. They also give PCs a new use for their INT score.

With this rule alternative, PCs can even learn spells when they gain a level, and subsequently can take the risk to cast a spell without wielding an associated spell book. That said, they will never have the degree of magical power that a real wizard possesses. True wizards remain powerful and mysterious NPCs, as they are in many works of fantasy fiction. 

Another thing about Knave's spell rules that confused me was the need to carry a whole spellbook to use a spell that a PC can read out in one round of action. I understand the design motive to turn a spell-slot mechanic into an item that has encumbrance value and taxes a PC's resources. My alternative rules sheet suggests a rationale for why spellbooks are this way in Knave. (In fact, I prefer to use a variety of spell-bestowing objects--scrolls, wands, runestones, and other objects, rather than whole books--but spellbooks are iconic and cool, and they have their place.)

If you try these alternative rules, let me know how they work for you.

Here they are!

Comments

  1. Good stuff! Always liked S&S magic (which this seems to emulate quite well) Enjoy the concept, but not the play of Vancian Magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! I think you managed to keep the explanation in the document flavorful and concise. I suppose this is only compatible with leveled spells, though, and not the alternative “levelless” spells included in Knave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works for level-less spells, too, as long as the player declares what level he or she wishes the outcome to be before rolling.

      Delete
  3. A bit late to the party, but I love your take on the protection magic surrounding the actual incantation in a spell book or scroll!

    I tried to modify the spell system as well, letting PC memorize spells they find during "downtime", and instead have spell components take up the inventory slots that limit the amount of spells a PC can cast.
    Problem is, these components need either to be quite bulky or numerous to actually fill the slots. Which then leads to the question whether spells in combat make sense in the fiction. I'm fine having only rituals as spells, but I know some of my players aren't.

    I think your solution is way more elegant, making spell books cool artifacts to find, steal or rob.
    Thanks for sharing these rules. Will report back if I get the chance to try them out at the table!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment