Skip to main content

Gonzo versus Player Choice

Some "gonzo" role-playing game products are lots of fun to read as a potential referee. Written especially for GMs, they are just begging to be used in play by presenting all kinds of bizarre places and creatures and objects, but when it comes to actual play, the players don't have nearly as much fun.

I think that some varieties of "gonzo" play-styles and aesthetics have the potential to block player fun as much as they can stimulate a sense of weird wonder.

When a setting is strongly detached from reality, and becomes quite unpredictable, players cannot judge the outcomes of their choices. If you drink from a pool in a subterranean chamber, you might have to save versus poison or die, or you might raise a prime attribute. If there's no way for the players to figure out if something is beneficial or harmful, no clues, then the fun house ceases to be fun. Player choice becomes less meaningful when the effects of actions are not predictable in any way. A weird or psychedelic world may make sense to the GM, but if it seems to players that anything can happen, the game can cease to engage. The GM takes delight, but the players are just experimental guinea pigs wandering in the GM's world.

Combine that with the side-effect that the "gonzo" aesthetic can emphasize the gap between player and character, by appealing to the sense of humor of the player, not the character, it increases the "gamey-ness" of a role-playing game, but it's a game in which there is little fictional rationale for players to make decisions that matter.

In this way, unpredictable gonzo settings can be like the games in which GMs have a cast of powerful NPCs and an ongoing drama of their own, where the players are just witnesses to the cool stuff that the NPCs get to do. Players and their characters matter less.

Examples

From the beginning of the dungeon-delving hobby, traps have been an essential feature. Ingenious GMs dreamed up all kinds of wicked traps. I still have some of the book series Grimtooth's Traps (from 1981) by Flying Buffalo, the producers of Tunnels & Trolls, a game that always remained more "gonzo" in its presentation than early D&D. 

The Grimtooth's Traps books are compendia of sadistic and unpredictable traps to foil dungeon adventurers. You can hear the GM cackling, "Gotcha!" Most of them are confusing to players and likely to maim and kill PCs without warning. It's not clear that anybody would actually put them to use in play, but somebody must have done it.

These books of traps are strongly appealing to GMs as fun tricks, but players learn to be hopeless in a dungeon full of this kind of cruel killer surprise.

The role-playing game Paranoia (1984) was similar. The original game, which I relished running, was work of art as a matter of game design and presentation. The game is brilliant. In actual use, though, players found the hyper-dangerous dystopian world to be one in which their choices were futile. "Gotcha!" moments abounded in the Kafkaesque published modules that I used. That's how the game is designed. Death in Paranoia comes so easily that each PC gets six clones; when a PC dies, the next clone of the same character is somehow air-dropped in. It's perfect for the genre, but in play, it just said to my players that they were pointless, and they resisted playing it further. No wonder. It's a game for GMs, not for players. (In those days, we didn't call games "gonzo," but Paranoia would qualify today.)

A cousin of gonzo is the dreaded horror of Things Man Was Not Meant To Know. Call of Cthulhu (1981) is probably my all-time favorite game, one that I ran perhaps more than any other in the old days. There were many excellent published scenarios. Some of them, though, led players to an overdose of cosmic horror that spoiled things, when they finally confronted a meaningless world in which helplessness was their only option. In one published scenario that I ran, the PCs get a prolonged glimpse of the future of time and space and passing ages unto the collapse of the Universe. This is the climax of the adventure, but in play it devolves into an extended narration by the GM of a vision punctuated by a painfully long series of Sanity checks. The players sat back in their chairs hopelessly as I tried to evoke a mind-blowing revelation, but the weirdness of the cosmic horror left the players with nothing to do but to watch their characters' minds peel away bit by bit. The players checked out while my narration, following the cues of the published module, only became less and less effective as I attempted to increase my zeal to impress them with the cosmic vision. The players were glad when the game was over. Ouch! From the player point of view, it was just sadistic, not horrific. For something to be scary, there has to hope that agency can lead to an escape. This scenario ended with a long elevator ride to nowhere.

Modern gonzo settings and adventures risk this syndrome. The GM is given a delightful and brilliantly illustrated module full of mind-blowing creativity, bizarre, trippy, gonzo encounters to spring on their players, typically with high lethality. It's a fun house. But if the players care about what happens in the game at all, this is going to disappoint them, because they can't possibly guess whether making one choice or another will have any predictable or rational result. It's just, sproing! you're dead. Or,  your body has been transformed! Or, you get something good for no reason! But mostly it's just: you're dead.

You know you are looking at this kind of game when there are special rules for delivering new PCs speedily into the hands of players whose characters just died.

I was looking at the brilliant, big, gorgeous module Operation Unfathomable. This is a delight to read as a prospective GM. I love the look, the presentation, the aesthetic, the ideas. It's just exciting to read. This is the kind of work that makes OSR players boast about "the creativity of the OSR." I think it's great as the original game Paranoia was great. And yet I can't imagine it's lots of fun for most players to enter a gonzo, "random," highly lethal environment that defies all expectations. Most of the reviews gush about how cool it looks (and it does look sensationally cool), but, as is typical in reviews, there is little reflection on its actual use in play. The word "fun" comes up a lot, but how fun was it fun to play, for the players (not for the GM who reports about it)? I found one play report saying basically that the players did not like it because it was too unpredictable--just what I'm talking about here generally. I know it was developed through playtesting, so it must have worked for the designer, but, reportedly, even the designer's "players apparently said no thank you to the terrors of the deep, forcing him to develop the next overland adventure he plans to publish."

There seem to be a lot of RPG products that aim to delight GMs, not players. This fits one purpose of RPG products: to get people to think about how it could be used in play, even if it will never be used.

My point 

If stuff doesn't make sense, and if consequences can't be predicted, players can't make meaningful choices.

There are players who don't mind this. If your players are just killing time, or hanging out with friends, maybe they don't really care what happens. If they are seeking entertainment from their GM friend with weird stuff, perhaps while playing in a chemically altered state of mind, a bizarro adventure trip may also please them. (I've known players like this.)

But if they are playing a game, or seeking a rational story-telling experience, the gonzo aesthetic can undermine enjoyment and fun by undermining the rationality of the players' choices.

In the end it's a matter of tastes in a player group. But there does seem to be a kind of "gonzo" that undermines the principle that player choice is essential to enjoyment. To put it in the misleading currently preferred terms, gonzo effects can be a virtual "railroad," because player choice plays no real role in the game, no more than random emergent adventures produced from a series of tables.

Comments

  1. Very good points about describing old wine in a new bottle. Although for the most part, I think you're writing about what we called back in the '70s as "killer DMs" and "killer dungeons." As new players, it was fun to play Russian Roulette with our characters. We'd drink from fountains and sometimes get a permanent +1 to strength and sometimes turn into a little girl. We'd put on a robe and sometimes blend into the surroundings and sometimes get "blendered." And a lot of players would name their characters "Big Mac" which invaribly became replaced by "Big Mac II," "Big Mac III," and so on. The desired experience for my players and myself was novelty and surprise. This is the same era that gave us cartoon characters (Bugs Bunny et al.) and Sesame Street characters (Big Bird et al.) as monsters to fight. When we needed a break, we could stop off at the McDonald's on the 3rd level and order a Dragonburger with cheese. With a group of 8+ teenage boys crowding the table, it was a chaotic/stupid free-for-all. We delighted in mixing genres and pop culture. This worked for about two years then we left the dungeon and never went back. New characters had "proper" sounding names, death was less frequent (and creative), and high levels were reached. Players became invested in their characters and we had actual campaigns. I don't miss the days of dinosaurian clerics armed with laser pistols adventuring with lightsaber wielding cat-men invading Boot Hill. And neither do the other guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank you! You are hitting the nail on the head. You are also making an additional point that needs to be made: the present (OSR) fondness for "gonzo" as "retro" is a misinterpretation of those earliest days of whimsical dungeons. The "gonzo" was more due to its coming before the fixing of the dungeon genre in its "classic" forms in TSR modules. The alignment seems to have been Chaotic/Stupid, indeed. But, as you say, people figured out new ways to play after a few years, and there came actual campaigns, with sense and story arcs that developed collaboratively and spontaneously.

      I do think that some players who never played Chaotic/stupid *think* that they want those days to return, because they have a caricature about the past, not the thing you experienced.

      It's fun to see my son run a game for middle-schoolers in which they are doing some of the same things that make no sense to me, such as taking celebrity names for their characters and the like. It doesn't bother my son, but I, the grizzled and jaded GM, would disallow it as breaking the illusion. Their illusion is just different.

      Killer DMs are now all the rage, I think. The difference is that this time around, it's a deliberate aesthetic choice rather than an oppositional play-style.

      I appreciate your lore.

      Delete
    2. What they think they want: Games that play like the games they played when they were 16.
      What they actually want: To feel like they did at 16 again.

      Delete
    3. Ha, John, probably true! Except I was so miserable at 16, I'd rather go back to, say, 22. Either way, the principle is the same.

      I understand it. Sometimes, looking at those old modules, I can feel a glimmer of that excitement and what it felt like when it was all new, and any story seemed possible.

      Delete
  2. I've never been a fan of gonzo, except in very small doses and usually not part of a continuing campaign. I do have fond memories of the exceedingly silly sessions my friends and I had playing through EX11: Dungeonland in 1984/5, but I think that mostly happened because we needed something light after Twilight 2000 (in which the comedic high point was a PC catching cholera...).

    I always felt that Paranoia was more fun to read than play.

    I'd never considered the players' choice angle before, and I think you're spot on with that. But for me personally the cardinal sin of gonzo is that it works against itself: when everything is weird, nothing is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, again, AIE. I had forgotten about Dungeonland (though I think I still have it in a box)! That one *is* pretty silly. And I had also forgotten Twilight 2000. I remember reading that while Sting's lament "I hope the Russians love their children, too" was on the radio.

      I still have the idea that Paranoia could be tons of fun for all. There have been enough editions, it seems, to indicate a fan base. But modules for the 1st edition, like "Orcs in Space" and "Send in the Clones," were so silly that I would think they'd be hard to play. They are good examples of materials published primarily for the private enjoyment of dreamy GMs.

      When everything is weird, nothing is, seems true to me, but I can't deny the players who like things to be non-stop silly their own kind of fun.

      Delete
    2. Whoops, faulty memory. The Paranoia modules were "Orcbusters" and "Clones in Space."

      Delete
  3. You're spot on, I think, with your analysis of Paranoia. As kids, some of us played it with a friend who was always keen to GM it - but I think he enjoyed running it much more than we did playing it - for exactly the reasons you set out.

    I'm not sure, though, whether "gonzo" encounters are quite the same thing. In our ongoing campaign, some of the most fun has come from "gonzo" set-ups: two examples are the room of pools in Quasqueton and the wizard's laboratory (with characteristic-changing magic mirror) in the LotFP adventure Tower of the Stargazer. The latter resulted in a PC death, though it wasn't entirely arbitrary, as the players knew that they were gambling with potentially life-changing powers. But the lure of stat raises was just too strong ...

    Also, my kids and their friends absolutely love the life-is-cheap 'funnel' adventures for Dungeon Crawl Classics; I've run a couple of these on occasions when the main game has been cancelled. Death comes thick and fast in those, with each player having a stable of characters, but those deaths generate a lot of excitement.

    In both situations, meaningful choices come from the risk/reward balance. If you're in a wizard's laboratory, you *know* that you're messing with things best left alone - but there's a strong element of cat-killing curiosity and the prospect of magical powers. And if you're one of the desperate peasant mob swarming the tyrant's keep, you're already in high-risk mode.

    Also, some of the gonzo stuff can lead to interesting player choices at the campaign level. My players have recently returned from Tekumel to their own world with an Eye of Bestowing Life. They're now seriously debating whether they should return to the island with the stargazer's tower to see if they can resurrect their dead companion with it. So the fun-house, arbitrary wizard's mirror is potentially shaping the direction of the entire campaign months after its initial appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, JC, I appreciate your reality checks with reports from actual play. I can't disagree about the *potential* of "gonzo" to be fun. It's a preferred aesthetic of some for a reason. My focus here is not about the occasional gambles with fortune, which, in your games, players enter upon knowing that there are huge risks. What I mean is when everything is so whimsical or irrational or trippy that the effects of choices can't be predicted, over and over. The lines between light-hearted instant death events and irrational, chaotic settings where anything goes are blurry to me.

      I should have entitled this "When 'Gonzo' Cancels Player Choice," because it's not about weirdness per se, but the undermining effects of weirdness when it's pervasive.

      I was interested to read that you have run a few DCC funnels and that your youngsters find them exciting. I ran a B1 Keep on the Borderlands for my son with Moldvay's Basic not long ago in a spare evening and his three characters were wiped out by the second encounter, TPK in one hour of play. He found it fun. Mostly I was trying to demonstrate the simplicity of older D&D (as opposed to his 5e), but he got a perverse kick out of seeing his first dwarf ever, with a naturally rolled 18 STR (saw it with my own eyes), but only 3HP, die from a spear to the face in his first round of combat with a goblin! We said we'd play by the book no matter what, just for kicks, and that was the outcome. It did not convert him to old D&D, by the way.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yaldabaothOfficial. Your aggressive response to my thoughts about role-playing games and player choice, with its ad hominem implications, undermines your argument and suggests that you did not understand my point. You also overlook the comments and discussion already present, which clarify it. Nobody said that the entire "gonzo" aesthetic deprives players of their choices, or that your experience using Operation Unfathomable (or any other game) was bad. I'm all in favor of fresh settings full of the unknown. Didn't you see the high praise that I actually wrote about the module? By the way, I simply lost the web site with the play report where a GM said that OU was too unpredictable for his players to enjoy it, or I would have linked to it, too. I was citing two comments; only one had a link. Note that I didn't claim that "it wasn't popular with the playtesters." You put those words in my mouth.

      I have learned that a lot of card-carrying OSR players think that they have the Right Way to play, and different perspectives must be attacked, so your approach doesn't surprise me. But why not just let me know that your own experience was different, and how, instead of raging at a blogger's personal thoughts? Do you feel better for having told me, in effect, that I'm dumb? If so, I urge you to find a different and useful way to work out your problems. Is the pandemic getting to you? I sincerely hope that you are okay.

      I wrote, "But there does seem to be a kind of 'gonzo' that undermines the principle that player choice is essential to enjoyment." Of course I agree with you, basically, that it's bad GMing to deprive players of meaningful choice (though I don't rule out that some people may like it that way). That was my point, so hey, we agree, despite your funny rhetoric. I add to that point that design aesthetics are part of GMing. Design aesthetics can indeed foster a scenario environment in which so much is wacky, gonzo, and unpredictable, that player choices become meaningless. I gave examples. You tell me I got one of them wrong on the basis of one page I linked to, which is an opinion you're entitled to, but in doing so you miss the main point.

      You also really seem to have got your hackles up about the words "a rational story-telling experience." Note that I didn't say that was the goal of playing. I was contrasting the goals of players who (1) want to hang out and have a weird time, regardless of events, with (2) players who are playing a game in which their choices matter, as in strategy, and (3) people who are interested in story-telling. Those are three legitimate play goals, but I was not advocating for one of them. Did you feel that I was telling you how to play, my friend? Because I wasn't.

      Anyway, despite your hostility and your unfounded assumptions about me, I appreciate your point of view. In closing, please remember: As gamers, we're on the same side.

      [reposted here, and deleted below, so that this appears correctly as a reply]

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things like the Grimtooth's Traps books are really just fun reads, in my experience. You'd snicker over them and pass the books around to read, but you never did encounter the Closet of Caltrops or the double giant fan blades with a rope bridge between. Maybe some people did use them, but it just seemed like a comic version of what you'd fine in S1, S2, A3, and so on.

    Paranoia can be a tricky game. It's fun to read, and in the right GM hands, fun to play. It just has to be played with a possibility that, if you roll well, connive well, plot well, and lie convincingly with sufficient evidence destroyed to make the lies stick . . . that you can live and possibly get promoted. Not that you'd play the same characters, really, but you need that chance of something you can plausibly explain to the Computer as "success" in a way that can get you out of it, for now. We had a friend, Ed, who ran Paranoia exceedingly well. You felt like the hammer was going to fall, but you just might manage to have it fall on your fellow players while affixing no blame to yourself. I'm not sure I could pull it off - but it was a blast to pull out and play occasionally.

    I'm sure a lot of gonzo stuff is like that. My players kept telling stories from playing EX1 and EX2 back in the day, and one would tell them now if he wasn't the only player of that bunch who still games with me. Same with running, say, Ork! The Roleplaying Game. Not things I'd make the basis of an entire campaign but a fun thing to play now and again.

    That's really my issue with gonzo - it can be a fun vacation, but I don't want to live there.

    I might be a killer GM, though, based on the kill count in my game. It's hard to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My players in Paranoia just felt helpless, so they acted out and got annoyed. The thing is, they were helpless. I bet I could run it better now.

      It's wonderful you still have one of your old-time players with you.

      Probably this post makes it look like I strongly dislike gonzo/whimsy/etc. It's not that. It's just that it can disempower players when they have no idea what consequences their actions can have because the setting is so consistently far out. I guess that's what you're saying: wouldn't want to live there!

      Delete
  7. I have a lot of weirdness in my game, particularly with the amount of extradimensional creatures that have made positive reaction rolls to the players characters, but not a whole lot of random reduction of player agency.Ilike strange flavor in my games, not pointless death.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment